Fourteen Stations of the Cross (Book # 2)
Bookbinding: Heléne van Aswegen
Medium: Digital print on Innova Smooth Cotton High White paper
Measurements: 259mm (spine height)
Place of publication: Stellenbosch, RSA
Publisher: The Strange Press
Pages: unpaged (116p)
This is the second of three individually bound books in dark grey laminated paper on hard cover boards. The pages open out from the central gutter revealing overhead images of landscapes, baptismal fonts and various graphic elements. When viewed from the side, the landscape elements continue around the outer edge of the folded pages producing a distinct for-edge. The first 14 mission stations in South Africa and South West Africa (now Namibia) are explored as the '14 stages of the cross'. The Moravian missionary Georg Schmidt established the first mission station at Zoetemelks Valleij in 1738, and the following year moved to Baviaanskloof (later renamed Genadendal). Schmidt was forced to abandon his work and leave the country in 1744. In 1792 The Moravian Mission Society sent Christiaan Kuhnel, Daniel Schwinn and Hendrik Marsveld to take up the mission again. The last mission of the 14 stations is Hoogekraal, later renamed Pacaltsdorp after the German missionary Carl Pacalt who established the station in 1813.